PRSI Hair Replacement Benefit

The PRSI Wig Grant Treatment Benefit Scheme is available to insured workers, the self-employed and retired people who have the required number of PRSI contributions. Once approved, you can claim up to €500 for your new wig, hair topper, toupee or hair replacement system.

Claims Can Be Made Up For Up To €500, Once Per Calendar Year.

How to check PRSI Wig Grant eligibility

We can check your PRSI Wig Grant Eligibility here in Roches. All we require is your PPS number, date of birth and your permission signature. You can download the short PRSI form/permission slip here. Once filled in, email, post, or bring it in when you have your appointment. In most cases, we can check your eligibility instantly.

Once approved or not approved, we will email you to let you know.

  • Eligible to claim the PRSI Wig Grant: If you have been approved you will need to get a prescription from your doctor before we can make the claim on your behalf, see more details below.
  • Not Eligible to claim the PRSI Wig Grant: If you have not been approved, don’t worry as there may be some alternative routes to try, see below.

What do I need to claim my PRSI Wig Grant?

Firstly, you will need to be diagnosed with alopecia or temporary alopecia caused by chemotherapy. Once diagnosed, your doctor will need to provide you with a prescription. This prescription must state your form of alopecia/chemotherapy and your requirement for a wig/hairpiece. Below, you can download a prescription template for your doctor to complete. We recommend using this template as it notes all the qualifying types of alopecia; making it much easier for your doctor. All they need to do is sign and stamp the form confirming a listed condition applies to you. Download the PRSI Hair Replacement Prescription Template here.

What if I’m not Eligible for the PRSI Wig Grant?

If you do not have enough PRSI contributions you may be able to claim on your dependant spouse/civil partner/cohabitant’s contributions; even after death a widower or surviving civil partner may be able to claim. Please contact Roches directly if you wish to claim on your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant’s contributions. We will post the required form for you to fill out before forwarding it to the Department of Social Protection.

Alternatively, you may wish to check your entitlement to claim with the HSE Medical Card.

If you have any further queries about the PRSI Wig Grant please contact us: or phone (01) 492 6829

Further information about the PRSI Wig Grant is available here on the Citizens Information website.